my dad (age 60) has a red lump on the bottom of his lowerlip, approximately 1 inch wide. it is, according to my mum, soft to the touch. i am very worried. what could it be?

Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry 35 years experience
How long?: The question is; hoow long has it been there? It could be from trauma such a biting the lip. Most lesions will resolve in 2 weeks time. If it persist, it should be examined by a dentist trained in oral medicine.
Dr. Robert Trager
Dentistry 55 years experience
Precancerous legion: This could be a pre-cancerous legion if there is a history of trauma, smoking and or alcohol usage. If it has been there for more than three or four months, go to an oral surgeon or a dermatologist and have a biopsy taken.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Needs evaluation....: That lump could be a number of things, none of which can be accurately diagnosed over the internet, especially sight unseen. Your dad should be seen by a general dentist or oral surgeon in order to determine what that lump is and what, if anything, needs to be done. Merely giving you a list of possibilities will neither be helpful nor ease your concern.