How long do you have to wear the palate expander for braces?

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

For as long as: Your orthodontist has determined appropriate for your particular situation. An ideal treatment result is worth however long it takes. It's typically a few months.

Answered 8/26/2016

5.5k views

Depends : Depends upon your particular bite and the spacing available in your palate. I can tell you this...Follow the orthodontists directions because ortho patients who follow the directions get treatment completed much faster. Ask your orthodontist how long you must wear your expander...They will be happy to talk with you about it - i promise :).

Answered 2/15/2017

5.5k views

Usually 4-6 months: Depending on your orthodontist's protocols, once you are done turning, you need to stabilize the palate so things don't relapse. The usual protocol is 4-6 months after the last turn.

Answered 8/8/2018

5.5k views

Adult or child?: Palatal expansion is a very common rx modality for children with a side-to-side skeletal discrepancy. After expansion the appliance must remain in place until bone fills into the expansion areas, 3-6 months. In adults, after the two haves of the upper jaw have fused, expansion must be coupled with surgery. Again a 3-6 month post expansion stabilization period is recommended. Ask your ortho.

Answered 8/13/2017

5.1k views