U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

I have a scar from surgery. will cosmetic surgery improve it?

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Krishna Narayanan
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Scar revision: Depending on the extent and depth of the scar kenalog (triamcinolone) injections can minimize the appearance of the scars. For more complicated scars, scar revision may be needed by an experienced plastic surgeon.
Dr. Jason Lichten
Plastic Surgery 24 years experience
Scars are permanent: While scars are permanent, there are different treatments that can help minimize, fade or hide surgical scars. Talk to a board-certified plastic surgeon to find out what your options are.
Dr. Jeffrey Rosenthal
Plastic Surgery 45 years experience
Scars are permanent: Scars are the bodies mechanism to heal a wound. They are permanent but if the scar follows the normal facial or body contour then it has the best opportunity to heal well. Scars may be revised but will be replaced with another scar; hopefully, of better quality. Not all areas of the body heal well. Areas such as knees, elbows or the mid chest stretch the healing scar causing it to widen.
Dr. Robert Brueck
Plastic Surgery 49 years experience
Scar post surgery: The first step is to go to a board certified plastic surgeon to see the extent of the scar.It may require some injections or may need to be dermabrade or excised.www.beautybybrueck.com.

Similar questions

A 34-year-old member asked:

Is there cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance of scars from burns?

7 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Timothy King
21 years experience
Depends: It depends on the type of scar and location. This is a very difficult question to answer without examining your scars. I would recommend going to see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in burn reconstruction to determine the best course of treatment for you.

Related questions

A 47-year-old member asked:
Can I get cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance of my donor graft sites?
4 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old female asked:
Is plastic surgery effective to improve keloid C-section scar?
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
How can I cope with my scars from surgery?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
Will I have feeling on my surgery scars again?
4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 9, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.