U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old female asked:

I had locked jaw for 1 year. i hadtmj arthroscopy-right and left-arthrocentesis 6 months ago. now, there is inflamation, pain and a gritty feeling on the right side.what can i do?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Guy Hanson
Dentistry 38 years experience
MRI: A TMJ MRI is in order for you. The gritty feeling sound like you have bone grinding on bone rather than the lower jaw being separated from the skull by the cartilaginous disc that is normally in between the two.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 34 years experience
Get a referral: Go to see an oral maxillofacial surgeon who specializes in TMJ surgery. Your dentist may have a great oral surgeon to refer you to.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Rescope vs OpenSurg: Depends. If you clench/grind, a splint may help. Often a steroid injection will settle down the joint. Occasionally open surgery is indicated. Most important thing would be to see another surgeon for another opinion. Hopefully someone with vast TMJ experience.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.