I have discoid lupus- is there anything that will help get my rash to go away?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 47 years experience
Cortisone crea,s: For mild cases topical steroids can help. However if it is not totally responsive to topical steroids or there is potential for scarring oral plaque nil is used. An eye exam is required at baseline ad at 6 month intervals to check for loss of peripheral vision.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
Discoid Lupus: Therapy begins with the use of sun-protective measures, including sunscreens, protective clothing, and behavior alteration. Standard medical therapy includes corticosteroids (topical or intralesional) and antimalarials. Topical calcineurin inhibitors have also been used in patients with cutaneous lesions of le. In addition, topical retinoids have been reported to be helpful.
Dr. Amit Golding
20 years experience
Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) 200 to 400 mg daily is often effective in treating and preventing lupus skin rash. Ask your doctor about the potential side effects and benefits.
Last updated Nov 30, 2014