i have "bouchard's nodes" in my fingers, what should i do for them?

Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Michael Laccheoanswered
Rheumatology 15 years experience
Pain relief only: They are signs of osteoarthritis. As long as they don't hurt, there's nothing you need to do. If you do have pain then any of the many treatments for osteoarthritis would be indicated. Discuss with your pcp what treatment would be best given your medical situation.
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim commented
Rheumatology 16 years experience
I would also add hand physical therapy to maintain flexibility and function. It can be extremely helpful for some.
Nov 6, 2012
Dr. Alfred Kim
Rheumatology 16 years experience
Pain control, PT: Bouchard's nodes are an end result of degenerative arthritis of the middle knuckle of your fingers (pip joint). For unclear reasons, bone on bone damage causes more bone to be made generating these nodes. We do not have the technology to reduce their growth. Pain control and hand physical therapy are key for maximal symptom control.
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim commented
Rheumatology 16 years experience
Provided original answer
Sorry for the repeat answer. IPad app didn't show that it was already answered (and that I already commented on it!)
Nov 9, 2012