U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 43-year-old member asked:

Should i get a bone scan or what for osteopenia?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mazen Ghani
Radiology 25 years experience
A DEXA scan: Is commonly performed to evaluate bone mineralization. See your doctor.
Dr. Thomas Heston
Family Medicine 30 years experience
Not bone scan: I think that your are talking about a DXA (or dexa) scan. How do you know you have osteopenia? The DXA scan can help provide a baseline bone mineral density so you can monitor therapy.
Dr. David Djang
Nuclear Medicine 24 years experience
DXA: A "dxa" or "dexa" scan is what you are looking for.

Related questions

A 32-year-old member asked:
How do you know if you've had bone loss due to osteopenia?
3 doctor answers17 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
Can osteopenia cause your bones to ache?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 23-year-old male asked:
With osteopenia, how long does it take to lose bone, like wrists to become thinner?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.