why does my baby keep pulling away from my nipple?

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Distracted: Occasionally your baby may not be hungry and just wants to pacify so staying on the breast is not as important. She may then pull away at any distraction around her at that moment. This can occur even if she is hungry, but getting older, and therefore more aware of her surroundings, pulling away to a sound or see something close to where you are feeding.
Dr. Tod Haller
Ophthalmology 16 years experience
Lactation consultant: Insurances usually pay for lactation consultation with a lactation nurse. Possibly the baby just needs to learn how to latch on properly. Often lactation nurses come to your home and teach you many great techniques. Ask your pediatrician which one he/she recommends. It can be invaluable....And covered too. Great combo. Good luck and congrats on the newborn.