swollen lymph nodes under jaw- what could it be?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgical Oncology 44 years experience
See your doctor: Depends upon your age and whether you smoke and drink alcohol. Most nodes in the neck are benign and related to inflammation/infection. But, tumors of the mouth and throat can spread to lymph nodes under the jaw. Lymphoma sometimes starts as lymph nodes in the neck. The submandibular salivary gland is under the jaw and may get inflamed. Get it checked if the nodes have been present for 2+ weeks.
Dr. Stephen Noga
Medical Oncology 34 years experience
Many things: Certainly infection of the oral cavity or ears is hight on the list but of course one has to rule out lymphoma, head and neck cancer, as well as some other disorders. You should talk to your family doctor. They may try a course of antibiotics and if this is not successful..They will further investigate this.