I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea but recently, i woke up to the pain of me biting my tongue. its never happened before. what should i do?

7 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt answered

Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery

Large tongue: A common finding in obstructive sleep apnea patients is a large tongue, particularly the base of the tongue (at the back). The bulkiness of the tongue base crowds and blocks the breathing passage, stopping the air from entering the lungs. This bulky tongue can also get caught between clenched molars during sleep.

Answered 6/26/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Sal Aragona answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Mouth breathing: It is not uncommon with osa that an individual may have nasal airway insufficiency and thus breathe primary through their mouth. This dysfunctional breathing pattern may lead to an enlarged tongue and at night during sleep, nocturnal bruxism continues except rather grinding and clenching on the teeth, the enlarged tongue takes the brunt of the damage.

Answered 10/23/2017

5.5k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Sleep position: Was wondering if you have received treatment for the sleep apnea? Do you wear a CPAP machine? Did you get a dental mouthpiece for the apnea? Could also be your sleep position. I would see a specialist asap.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.5k views

Dr. Majid Jamali answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Sleep apnea: You might have a large tongue (macroglossia) which could be one of the causes of your sleep apnea.

Answered 12/16/2012

5.4k views