Is there a diet that can eliminate the need for humira/remicade in crohn's disease patients?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Rheumatology 35 years experience
NO: If you have active crohns, liquid or a bland diet may only be slightly helpful. With active crohns resting the bowel or nothing by mouth may be the most helpful plan. Fortunately, there are multiple therapies to help active crohns. Please talk with your GI md or your rheumatologist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stratos Christianakis
Rheumatology 20 years experience
Nothing proven: There is a lot of press now concerning "anti-inflammatory diets" in treating underlying inflammatory disorders like crohn's. I do have patients who are much improved with eliminating gluten, for example. However, everyone is unique and it is impossible to make a blanket statment about diet and eliminating meds like remicade (infliximab). It is always worth a try if you are motivated to do so.
Dr. Richard Rafoth
53 years experience
Mayby: There was one japanese study that suggested a plant based diet decreased the relapse rate of crohn's in remission. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc2877178/pdf/wjg-16-2484.pdf unfortunately no pharma money is there to fund a f/u study. - for obvious reasons. If it was me, i'd try the veggie diet for 6 to 12 months.
Last updated Jan 12, 2015