U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

What's some medicine for hydronephrosis?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Vandersteen
Pediatric Urology 32 years experience
Depends on the cause: Hydronephrosis is a symptom (fluid in the kidney and or ureter) not a disease. Treatment depends on discovering its underlying cause. Potential causes include: obstruction from stones, clots, or tumors, infection, reflux, excess fluid ingestion or excretion, among many others. See your urologist.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Usually intervention: Hyrdonephrosis is an anatomic diagnosis, usually caused by obstruction, less common by reflux of urine from bladder & occasionally by infection. Thus intervention, to relieve blockage, usually required to correct cause, unless mild. Obstruction from narrow or kinked kidney outflow needs pyeloplasty surgery, stones passed or removed + meds if metabolic cause, tumor removed, antibiotics 4 infection.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 32-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old male asked:
3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 4, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.