What is a cervical bilobed herniated disc?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Edward Smith answered

Specializes in Neurology

Parse the words: Cervical = neck. Herniated = out of normal anatomic location. Disc = cartilage located between adjacent vertebrae. Bilobed = two separate bulges protruding from the disc.

Answered 4/24/2019

5.6k views

Dr. Estrada Bernard answered

Specializes in Neurosurgery

Herniated disc: A bilobed herniated disc would be a disc herniation that has two distinct projections , giving the appearance of two separate "lobes". Usually these lobes project on either side of the midline.

Answered 4/2/2016

4.3k views

Dr. Brian Sabb answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

Pretty rare: Hi, good ? You may know that a herniation is when the nucleus pulposus (central aspect of the disc) escapes through the anulus fibrosus and can exhibit mass effect on spinal structures. Herniations are NOT uncommon, I see them daily on MRI. BILOBED appearance is rare...see the photo that I just entered into the answer. Bi = 2 and you can see that there are 2 "lobes" or components. Take care

Answered 10/25/2018

744 views