U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old female asked:

My son will be 5 in november. he can't have conversationsbut he can read, spell words, make simple sentences andfollows instructions. what is wrong?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kevin Passer
36 years experience
He needs an eval: Your son needs a comprehensive evaluation, i recommend either a board certified child psychiatrist or a developmental pediatrician. There is no real way, we here at healthtap can provide an accurate diagnosis without a careful history and examination. Such an evaluation in my office usually takes two hours.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Psychiatry 33 years experience
Child delay: Best to have him evaluated by a board certified child psychiatrist for thorough assessment & referrals as deemed necessary for further eval.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
Is he in school?: I agree, he needs a comprehensive evaluation to determine if he has a neurological, neurodevelopmental ( e.g., autistic spectrum or other) or psychiatric disorder. Ask your pediatrician for a referral to a specialist in whom he has confidence. Also, call child find for an evaluation of your son for eligibility for early childhood special education, which he can start asap based on levels of delay.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 21, 2012


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.