i'm 36 yo & for the 5th time since march i have bad cellulitis & ulcers on my leg. i can't afford to be admitted again. do you have any ideas for me?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Ashu Syal
Dr. Ashu Syal answered
29 years experience Pediatric Nephrology and Dialysis
Recurrent cellulitis: Ok! there are two main questions here. First and foremost, if you are sure it is cellulitis again, then you need treatment. I have treated uncomplicated cellulitis as outpatient. Why do you need admission? Secondly, we need to figure out why is there a recurrence? Are you diabetic, or immune-compromised, or MRSA colonized? Answer to second question, will help you avoid recurrence.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014
Dr. Michael Miller
35 years experience Wound care
What's the cause?: With five admissions, sounds like you need to seek advice outside your current circle of experts. I am betting you never had an elevated white count or fevers and so repeated antibiotics are fruitless. Get to a wound care center where they can evaluate you for venous insufficiency and venous ulcers. No antibiotics are needed to treat this and long-lasting relief is a few weeks away.
Answered on May 2, 2015
Dr. Paul Skudder
Specializes in Vascular Surgery
Venous stasis. : Redness, inflammation, pain, swelling and ulcers of the legs, not fully healed w antibiotics? Likely prob w veins. Sadly it's OFTEN overlooked by Drs, PAs, Nurses, ERs. Elevation and COMPRESSION DRESSINGS l("Unna boots"). Ask for leg ultrasound tests with "REFLUX studies." If vein problems are seen often easy to treat with minor procedures in Dr. office w good outcomes. Hope this helps.
Answered on Dec 5, 2018