U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Houston, TX
A 51-year-old female asked:

what is the difference between internal med dr. and a gp?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Residency training: Internal medicine physicians have to complete a rigorous 3yr internship/residency training program in order to become board eligible. They then must pass an examination every 7-10 years to become & maintain board certification among other requirements. Internal medicine is a recognized specialty by the american board of medical specialties (www.Abms.Org). General practice docs don't go thru same.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin commented
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Provided original answer
Family physicians, like myself, go through a similar process of training & certification. Family medicine is also recognized by ABMS. General practice is not. This isn't to say that a GP isn't as good. Far from it. I'm just describing the difference between the two as you asked. Many GPs have an amazing breadth of knowledge & skill but it's easier for insurance companies to look at residency training & passing exams every now & then.
Oct 7, 2012
Dr. Gregory Hines
Family Medicine 24 years experience
Training: A gp/general practitioner, is a physician who has completed a year of training (the internship). A family practitioner or internist has completed a minimum of 3 years of training.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 37-year-old member asked:

How can I know whether to ask gp or internist my health questions about diseases?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Family Medicine 38 years experience
Whom to ask?: Both fp/gp's & internists have been trained to evaluate & treat many diseases. If the diseases you're worried about are unusual ones, a disease specialist may be your best choice.
A 48-year-old member asked:

I get ulticarea within 10 minutes of execise if I've eaten bread but my gp refuses to do anything, any suggestions. It is quite unsightly when it happens?

1 doctor answer7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Carter
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
See an allergist: You may have an allergy to one of the ingredients used to make the bread. Food allergy occasionally only causes symptoms with exercise. You may benefit from testing for allergy to wheat, egg, soy, milk, and bakers yeast, among other possible tests that will be decided after a thorough history and physical exam by a board certified allergist.
Dr. Robert Ramirez
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
Agreed. Sounds like "Exercise-induced food allergy". I've seen it twice with seafood.
Jun 22, 2012
Salinas, CA
A 29-year-old male asked:

I have a decent cocktail of drugs I currently take. Aside from my gp is there some type of specialist that I can review them with to optimize the rxs?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Dan Fisher
Internal Medicine 27 years experience
Internal medicine: If you are taking a decent cocktail you should probably be seeing someone board certified in internal medicine.
A 49-year-old member asked:

What happens when you visit an internist thats different from a gp?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Natarajan Raman
Radiation Oncology 33 years experience
The same thing: The internist is more focused on internal medicine while gp's are more likely to like family practitioners and the one stop shop for everything. Gp's offer labor and delivery but internists usually donot. A good gp and an internist offer virtually similar services with major overlap.
A 31-year-old member asked:

Can a gp also sub-specialize?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Mark Diamond
Pediatrics 46 years experience
Yes: If they receive the proper advanced traing, they can.But usually do not.

Related questions

A 44-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.