U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

I scratched my eye when i tried to get my contact out. what can i do to prevent getting infection?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology 22 years experience
Artificial tears: Most small abrasions never get infected. If your vision is ok and the discomfort minimal, artificial tears and use of glasses instead of contact lenses usually works ok. If in doubt, see an ophthalmologist. Be sure not to continue to wear your lenses.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Contacts, abrasion: You should have your eye examined by your eye md. Wearing contact lenses poses certain risks, and infections can occur more frequently if you have an abrasion or scratch. It's best to keep the contact lens out, and you may use artificial tears, but call your eye md so that an antibiotic can be prescribed.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 42-year-old member asked:

I scratched my eye when i tried to get my contact out. How do you make sure i don't get an infection?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology 26 years experience
See your eye doctor: There is no way to prevent infection other than to see your doctor and find out if antibiotic drops are needed.

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old male asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 10, 2012


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.