U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

What to do if you're suffering from psychosis?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Psychiatry 33 years experience
Psychosis: Get evaluation by a psychiatrist to determine the cause & treat that.

Similar questions

A 23-year-old female asked:

How do I know if i'm suffering from psychosis?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Psychosis: Psychosis is loss of touch with reality. It may occur with patients who have schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, mania, severe depression, schizophreniform disorder, brief reactive psychosis or certain personality disorders. Medical causes of psychosis can include dementia, drug or alcohol intoxication or withdrawal, brain tumors, medication side effects (such as steroids) or stroke.>>>.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Provided original answer
Psychotic symptoms can include hallucinations (auditory, visual, tactile, gustatory or olfactory); disorganized thoughts or behavior; or delusions. If you are concerned that you may have psychosis, I suggest starting by discussing this with your family doctor. He or she may refer you for an evaluation by a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist.
Apr 21, 2013

Related questions

A 48-year-old member asked:
What causes psychosis?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 26-year-old male asked:
What defines psychosis?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
What is florid psychosis?
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old female asked:
How might psychosis be disabling?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
Could you describe psychosis to me?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Dec 9, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.