U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 16-year-old female asked:

I have a double ear infection i've been to the doctor they gave me ear drops and an antibiotic the ear drops wont go in how can i get my ear uncloged ?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Christopher Abel
Pediatrics 28 years experience
May need a wick: Hard to tell without seeing your ears, but it sounds like you have otitis externa (outer ear infection). Sometimes when the ear canal gets so swollen, the drops won't go through, and your doctor will need to insert a wick into your ear canal to "pull" the medicine through so it can work.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 7, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.