United Kingdom (Great Britain)

my mother had intracerebral hemorrhage in 1996 (16 years ago. her left side is getting stiff. can you advise any medicine or treatment for her muscles?

Neurology 52 years experience
Anti spasticity : She may be developing flexion contractures, but spasticity could be the underlying issue. Several drugs might be considered including standard muscle relaxers, such as cyclobenzaprine. Better yet, might be baclofen, tizanidine, even dantrolene. Botox injections could help. Seek a rehab doc such as a physiatrist.
Dr. Jefferson Chen
Neurosurgery 34 years experience
Increased tone: She is likely experiencing increased tone and spasticity on the side that is opposite the intracerebral hemorrahage. Physical and occupational therapy and rehabilitation medicine are key to help to keep the muscles fluid and mobile. There are a host of medications that are designed to help with the muscle spasticity (ie. Valium, baclofen).