Woodmere, NY

my mother is wheelchair bound for 3 years now from a fall. she has finished all physical therapy. she will be 91 in april. atrophy has set in and she is stiff. will the stiffness get worse and will it affect her organs? what will happen to her?

Dr. Mohamed Aboyoussef
Rheumatology 26 years experience
Muscle weakness : Good question. Muscle weakness due to age and lack of activity is hard to recover but doesn't affect internal organs. You may want to encourage your mom to stay active and exercise at home as much as possible to prevent further deterioration. Best wishes.