Can alcohol provide anxiety relief?

10 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Lisa Saponaro answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Poor solution: The use of alcohol may serve to reduce anxiety in the short term; however it is a poor solution and may actually end up causing other problems. Look towards exercise, mindfulness strategies, breathing techniques and therapy for more healthy coping strategies.

Answered 5/15/2016

5.6k views

Dr. Linda Kondilis answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Missed opportunity : When substances are used for short term relief, you miss opportunities to work through your difficulties. One way to treat anxiety is to practice working through it, and have long term lasting effects.

Answered 4/3/2016

4.7k views

Dr. Alan Koenigsberg answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Yes. but...: Alcohol is the number one world wide treatment for anxiety. It is also one of the worst options available. It is a neurotoxin, lasts only a few hours, and is a depressant. I strongly recommend a thorough evaluation with your family physician and then look for appropriate treatment.

Answered 2/2/2014

4.5k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

I agree w all the: Responses you have received. I would add the caveat that it may be the most universal self- treatment. I have however, treated a # of people who developed anxiety disorder due to alcohol use. I have also treated people with anxiety disorders that did not get appropriate treatment because they were self-medicating with alcohol or other substances. Alcohol really is not the answer.

Answered 2/2/2014

4.5k views