Australia

my orthopaedic surgeon said he can't get to the posterior horn of my medial meniscus on arthroscope - is this true? is there any other option? can i still jog with this tear?

Dr. Aruna Seneviratne
Sports Medicine 26 years experience
Not true: The posterior horn of the medial meniscus is sometimes difficult to reach via the arthroscope. However, it can usually be reached reliably and predictably with the scope. You may jog after knee arthroscopy. Other options are non operative treatment if pain is not an issue. Best option if painful is knee arthroscopy which usually takes about 30min surgical time. See a sports medicine specialist.
Dr. Brian Badman
Orthopedic Surgery 25 years experience
No: If your surgeon told you he can't reach the posterior horn of the medial meniscus i would promptly seek another orthopedic surgeon. This can be tricky but is easily accessible thru standard and possibly accessory medial portals. A posterior horn tear can be bad and can accelerate arthritic change in the knee. If can live with pain live with it. If hurts seek attention but not that guy.
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine 36 years experience
I also disagree. The most common location of a menicus tear is indeed the posterior horm of the medial meniscus. Get a second opinion.
Mar 25, 2013