right behind my wisdom teeth is swollen gums .i can't bite down fully from it.what do i do?

Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
Dentistry 43 years experience
Salt water rinse: You probably have some type of gum infectio. Rinse with warm salt water and see your dentist.
Dr. Donovan Young
Dentistry 29 years experience
Make a dental appt.: The condition is called pericornitis; it is an inflammation of the gums when a tooth that is breaking through the gums into the mouth occurs. A little pocket of gum tissue collects food behind the tooth. You can rinse with some warm salt water to help heal the gum tissue and take some Motrin to relieve the discomfort of gum pain. Your doctor may elect to remove the excess tissue with a laser.
Dr. steven Present
Dentistry 43 years experience
In many cases there is not sufficient room for the wisdom tooth to fully erupt. In these cases the best treatment is to have the tooth removed, However it is very important to have this treated. It is a bacterial infection and because of the anatomy of the region there is a potential for the infection to spread down the neck. This is a condition called Ludwigs Angina and can have very serious consequences. I have seen a few cases and it is very serious. I suggest seeing your dentist or preferably an oral surgeon as soon as possible
Sep 22, 2012