How can i help myself think positive before vats surgery?

11 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Keegan Duchicela answered

Specializes in family medicine

Surgery: Preparing one's self mentally for surgery is very important. I'd suggest working on getting a good amount of sleep in the week leading up to the surgery. Eating as healthily as you can - avoid alcohol, caffeine, fast food, etc. And do the things that put you at ease - whether it's enjoying family and friends, getting outdoors, spending time with your church, volunteering.... It all helps!

Answered 9/24/2018

5.6k views

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa answered

Specializes in Pulmonary Critical Care

Relax and believe: You need to relax and believe that everything will be ok. That doesn't mean that there can't be complications: there is no guarantee in anything. But, I have had countless patients undergo vats and do just fine.

Answered 9/24/2018

5.6k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Many Ways: Anxiety before surgery is to be expected. I suggest methods of relaxation such as meditation, music, exercise, sexual activity (protection), moderate use of alcohol (if ok with surgeon), family/friends support. I also ask patients to remember that objectively speaking, they should be aware that they will be safer during the time of surgery that driving on the freeway. Best wishes.

Answered 9/24/2018

5k views