The left side of my mouth hurts constantly. gums bleed when brush, teeth sensitive, i believe i feel the nerves in the pockets. pain relief? recommend

13 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. James Merrett answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Pain Constantly: It sounds to me like you should see a dentist as soon as possible. Bleeding gums and constant pain are not a good sign. I would suggest some Ibuprofen or tylenol (acetaminophen) for temporary relief, however, the pain and bleeding gums could be something more serious. Imagine if your hands were bleeding when you washed them. You would see a doctor right away. It is the same thing when your gums bleed.

Answered 1/20/2017

5.6k views

Dr. Media Najafi answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Gum disease: Whenever your gums bleed it is sign of inflammation due to bacterial plaque and a lot of times lots of sensitivity is associated with that. Pain relief is seeing your dentist and first confirming the diagnosis and second doing the deep cleaning to remove the buildup of bacteria.

Answered 7/1/2013

5.6k views

Dr. James Courey answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

See the dentist: Periodontal disease (infection of the gum tissue and bones surrounding teeth) is an increasing health risk which will not go away by itself, but requires professional treatment. Sensitive andbleeding gums are not normal! in the early stage of gum disease, called gingivitis, the gums become red, swell, and bleed easily. If the disease is left untreated, it can eventually lead to loss of teeth.

Answered 8/3/2016

5.2k views

Dr. Jason Cataldo answered

Specializes in dentistry - Periodontics

Treatment: It sounds like you may have periodontal disease. In the short term, you can use ibuprofen, but the most effective long term pain relief will be from having the area treated. Pain is not usually present until periodontal disease becomes severe, so you may consider seeing a periodontist who specializes in this type of treatment sooner rather than later. Hang in there!

Answered 11/5/2014

5.2k views

Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr. answered

Specializes in

Homework + treatment: 1) use a soft manual toothbrush. 2) place the brush where the teeth and the gum join together. 3) move the brush in circles. 4) do all teeth this way on the face side and the tongue side. 5) initially the gum may bleed because you are cleaning out an open sore, however this bleeding will stop and the tissue will now begin to heal. 6) follow up with a water pik spraying water in circles same places.

Answered 2/25/2014

5.2k views