Houston, TX
A 18-year-old male asked:

The outer part of my ear is swollen and the inner part of my ear hurts, and its also painful to the touch including parts of my cheek, is it an ear infection?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 62 years experience
Insect bite: If the outer part of your ear is swollen, and there is pain around the ear and spreading to the cheek, a common cause could be an insect bite. This is very common during the summer and early fall. The problem should resolve spontaneously but ice packs to the area and pain meds will help. If the problem does not resolve with this minimal treatment, see an ENT doctor for further advice.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jul 8, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.