if i test positive for a uti but they did not test specifically for chlamydia does that mean the uti was caused by something other than chlamydia?

2 doctor answers
45 years experience Pediatrics
Hard to say: My gold standard for UTI diagnosis is a urine culture which yields the germ and what meds kill it.Some look at a urinalysis and assume a UTI and treat with the usual antibiotic.If you didn't ask them to look, the test for chlamydia would not usually be run. Since I don't know how you were tested or whether they did a culture, I cannot be sure what they found.
Answered on Apr 23, 2016
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
Very unlikely: Chlamydia is rare at age 64, even with partners at risk. Second, although chlamydia sometimes can mimic UTI, typical UTI symptoms (painful or urgent urination without discharge) rarely are due to chlamydia. A standard UTI is far more likely; chlamydia testing usually isn't done in men like you. You need to be checked for underlying problems that trigger UTI in older men, like prostate enlargement.
Answered on Sep 8, 2017