why do dialysis treatments take so long?

Dr. Anthony Cusano
Nephrology and Dialysis 40 years experience
Dialysis time: Your kidneys work 24/7/365 to remove toxins and maintain fluid and mineral balance for your body. We do dialysis over the shortest time possible to get the job done to replace those functions without putting an intolerable strain on the heart, the dialsysis access, or other body systems. If we go too quickly you could have severe low blood pressure or severe symptomatic metabolic disturbances.
Dr. Jerry Light
Vascular Surgery 36 years experience
Not so long: If you think about it, hemodialysis sessions, which last 3 to 4 hours 3 times a week, do not really take that much time. By this i mean that the dialysis machine is able to clean and filter your blood in about a half a days time in a week. This replaces your kidneys which function 24/7 all week. If your kidneys are not functioning, the time on dialysis is well spent.
Dr. Kalyani Perumal
Nephrology and Dialysis 29 years experience
Its important: Each dialysis treatment does the function of kidney-clearing toxins, removing fluids, replacing electrolytes that are low. Think about your kidneys- working 24 hrs/7 days/week- non stop.Now we are trying to do all that function in 3 sessions, max of 4 or more hours 3 days/week. So it may seem long but thats the minimum time you ataleast need to keep yourself healthy.