what could cause jaw cracking?

Dr. Scott Harwood
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Articular disc: The cracking or clicking noise that you hear when opening and/or closing your mouth is the mandibular condyle riding over the articular disc or meniscus which is out of its proper position in the glenoid fossa.
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
Disc in the joint: There is a small disc of cartilage in the temporandibular joint that can crack or pop if it gets out of place. It rarely causes problems, but if you also have pain or limited motion, you should see your dentist.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Diskor arthritis: Starts with jaw disk out of position. Sometimes due to disk perforation with degenerative arthritis of jaw joint. Best option to sort out problem is oral surgeon.