Should i have surgery if i have gynecomastia?

12 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. Elliot Duboys answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Why not?: Depends upon the cause of gynecomastia. If you are fat/obese - i would suggest first losing weight. If the gynecomastia is secondary to a hormonal condition - this should be check out. It is is idiopathic (no known cause) and it bother you, i would see the counsel of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Answered 1/23/2017

5.6k views

Dr. Ralph Rosato answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Depends : There are causes of gynecomastia such as hormonal imbalance, and excess weight that are reversible. If all reversible causes are not an issue then surgery may be your answer. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you decide these questions.

Answered 9/6/2019

5.6k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Possibly.: I have found that gynecomastia, if persistent, is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice. For patients with excess skin, common after weight loss, skin excision may also be necesary.

Answered 9/6/2013

4.9k views

Dr. Thomas Johnson answered

Specializes in Radiology

Not usually.: It may go away on its own especially if associated with presciption medications that can be substtuted. Occasionally, some patients have surgery for persistent gynecomastia that is either painful or cosmetically unacceptable.

Answered 9/7/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Depends...: The decision of whether or not to proceed with surgery to correct gynecomastia will ultimately be a very personal decision based on whether the enlarged breast gland causes physical and/or psychosocial “distress”. As always, patient should weigh the pros/cons associated with the procedure to determine whether to proceed or not. Consultation with board certified plastic surgeons may be helpful.

Answered 1/2/2015

5k views

Dr. Daniel Careaga answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

If it bothers you: Whether or not to proceed with surgery will depend on how bothered you are by the appearance of it.

Answered 9/10/2013

4.9k views