How can i deal with a bipolar and alcoholic parent?

17 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Lisa Saponaro answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Set boundaries: Encourage him/her to get treatment and then set boundaries about how much you wish to interact with them while the illnesses are not managed. You may wish to join a support group for yourself such as acoa or alanon. It is important to take care of yourself as both of these illnesses tend to have a genetic component which makes self-care and boundaries even more critical.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.6k views

Dr. Kevin Passer answered

Specializes in

It's difficult: It is very difficult, or it can be to deal with such a situation. Sometimes, when you are feeling frustrated with your parent, it may help to think and remember it is likely even more frustrating for your parent. Being less judgemental could be a way to help deal with your anger toward your parent. Good luck to you and best wishes.

Answered 5/8/2016

5.6k views

Dr. Douglas Bey answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

I agree with Dr. P.: In addition, you might benefit from reading it will never happen to me by claudia black which describes some of the common patterns adult children of alcoholics develop to cope with their parent's addiction. Bipolar parents are similar to addicted parents in many ways and the coping mechanisms of the children are as well.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.6k views