How can i get rid of an ingrown toenail?

13 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Jeffrey Kass answered

Specializes in Podiatry

See a podiatrist: They will give you local anesthesia and remove it.

Answered 9/28/2016

5.6k views

Dr. Clark Pillsbury answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Nail surgery: A podiatrist or medical doctor would numb your toe, remove the edge or sometimes the entire nail, use phenol (carbolic acid) to kill the growth area of the nail, rinse it with alcohol, antibiotic and a band-aid the next day. Once a nail is ingrown, it is very difficult to get the nail to grow out normally. This is the most common method used.

Answered 10/3/2018

5.6k views

Dr. Alan Ettinger answered

Specializes in Podiatry

See a Podiatrist: I suggest you see a podiatrist. You will get relief and it is painless.

Answered 5/13/2013

5.6k views

Dr. Lorry Melnick answered

Specializes in Podiatry

See a podiatrist: Ingrown toenails can be difficult to treat yourself. Many patients try to trim out the side, but usally are not able to get back far enough to get rid of the ingrown nail. A podiatrist can do a permanant correction where it will never grow back ingrown again.

Answered 6/11/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Libby Putnam answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Removal...: ...Is the only permanent solution. Just the painful border can be removed, or the entire nail if necessary. After removal you can let the border grow out again, or your doctor can use a chemical to stop the nail from regrowing. If you're concerned, don't perform bathroom surgery on yourself. That can lead to an infected ingrown toenail, which could require antibiotics.

Answered 12/9/2013

5k views

Dr. Richard Zimon answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Podiatrist: to really remove see a Podiatrist.. He/She will show you how to trim your toe nails properly to aviod recurrence! Hope this helps! Dr Z

Answered 1/10/2015

3.3k views

Dr. Robert Uyeda answered

Specializes in General Surgery

If it is acutely: inflamed, you need to see a doctor for nail removal and maybe even antibiotics. If it is a chronic problem, you should start to use nail clipping techniques that avoid sharp edges that grow into surrounding skin. Your doctor can show you this technique at next visit.

Answered 1/10/2015

3.3k views