i'm getting an ingrown toenail. what can i do at home?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Ingrown toenail: Try to lift up the corner of the nail that is digging into the skin. Take a small piece of cotton or gauze and roll it between your fingers to form a small roll or wick. Then place the roll between the nail and the skin to keep it elevated. This is painful but is the most important part of home treatment.After every soaking, try to push the roll a little farther in. Change the roll out every day.
Dr. Robert Lim
Podiatry 30 years experience
Be careful: If the corner of the nail is starting to grow into the skin, try to cut the corner off, but make sure you get the entire edge of the nail. Try not to leave a spicule of nail in the skin. If it is too painful to get to it then you may need to go to a podiatrist to get it out before it becomes infected.
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
If it is easily seen: You can cut the piece out and apply antibiotic ointment on it. If it is not easily visualized or accessible, see a podiatrist. Wear proper fitting shoes and remember to cut toenails straight across and as a rule, do not round corners or cut down sides.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Agree with Dr. Oberman, soaking in hot water and epson salt helps too, as this will soften the nail and also draw any pus or bacteria out and can help reduce inflammation.
Sep 29, 2012