United Kingdom

How long does each grade of ankle sprain take to heal?

Dr. Ronald Galyon
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Rehab all, they vary: Grade 1 sprain: slight stretching of the ligament. 2-6 wks grade 2 sprain: partial tearing of the ligament. Abnormal looseness (laxity) of the ankle joint occurs. 6-12 wks grade 3 sprain: complete tear of the ligament.Gross instability occurs. Usually 6 months or longer.
Dr. Randy Lisch
Podiatry 39 years experience
Read below: Grade 1 within 4 -6 months, but very functional after 1 month. Grade 2 and 3 will take 8 months to heal. Grade 3 may require surgery and take longer.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
On average: I would say mild 1-2 weeks mod 2-6 severe 4-8 these are just averages.