Italy

Blood in sputum, have done head, neck test, done x-ray, my doctor said it may be result of tear of capillarie at base of the tongue.he prescribed mouth w?

Dr. Robert Knox
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
Blood in Sputum: May be hard to find source, as bleeding is not constant. Three sources: upper airway, lower airway, and digestive. A complete upper airway endoscopy can be performed by an ENT to look for upper sources. But, it may be "normal" between episodes. My routine: chest x-ray, upper airway endoscopy, and depending upon risk factors, esophagogastroduodenoscopy (look into esophagus and stomach). See an ent.
Dr. William Dubois
35 years experience
Sputum blood: This can be a serious issue. Sputum from coughing is different than saliva. If you had a torn capillary on the tongue you would have blood in the saliva for only a short time until it clotted. Recurring blood in the sputum is serious and you should have your lungs evaluated.

Last updated Nov 6, 2014