What do you do if you have blood clots in the leg?

Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 32 years experience
Get help Immediately: This is a dangerous situation which needs immediate care. You will need bed rest, Heparin followed up with oral anti-coagulant medications. How do you know you have blood clots? Was it diagnosed by a physician?
Dr. Bradley Thomas
Vascular 20 years experience
Blood thiners: If this blood clot is is a deep vein, treatment would consist of anticoagulation with 3-6 months of blood thinners. I would also strongly recommend the use of compression stockings to prevent future problems. A physician also needs to try to determine if this was a "provoked" or "unprovoked" dvt. If there was no obvious cause then further work up maybe needed.