will partial dentures decrease the chances of bone loss in the jaw?

Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry 43 years experience
Better to have em: What makes bone disappear in the jaws is lack of teeth. Keeping as amany as possible and helping the rest of your mouth may help e bone stay a lot longer. Sometimes we will even file teeth level with the bone (with or w/o root canal) and then give you an over denture just to try to keep yu bone level up. The partials will also make it easier to chew food than having an empty space.
Dr. Russell Lieblick
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 21 years experience
Yes: Partial dentures can cause bone loss in 3 ways: if they rest on the ridge, they cause it to resorb, especially if opposed by natural teeth. They also cause tooth loss by placing forces on teeth that they aren't designed for. Finally, they do so passively because you could choose dental implants which solve both of the above issues.
Dr. Greg Rubin
Dentistry 37 years experience
No: People loose bone after they loose teeth. So partial denture will not prevent this deteriorating process, and even can accelerate bone loss as when you chew on it - your denture will apply an additional pressure to the i delaying bone and you may loose bone faster. Dental implants will preserve bone. Being biocompatible - dental implants will stop bone loss.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Unlikely: As long as you have missing teeth, the bone will "melt away" wherever there is tooth loss. Furthermore, partial dentures break your existing teeth as they are held in by metal clasps that hook around your teeth. It is just a matter of time before the teeth break. Consider dental implants.
Dr. Alvaro Lazo
Dentistry 24 years experience
No: They will prevent some other problems and will help you chewing your food , but definitely the bone will keep deteriorating if teeth are absent.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
No: No. Once teeth are lost, the supporting bone shrinks. Dental implants will prevent this.