A member asked:

What help should my son be receiving in his new primary school if he has dyslexia?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

I E P: It is reasonable to request individualized education plan (iep). He may benefit from speech therapy and extra time to take tests. Reading may be very difficult and audio books may be better than written material.

Answered 8/22/2012


Dr. Johanna Fricke answered

Specializes in Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral

If he had no IEP: at his last school district but his teacher has concerns, Response To Intervention (RTI): Tier 1 is implemented in class for 8 wks., then Tier 2 small-group instruction for a grading period, then Tier 3 individual instruction, if needed. If progress remains slow, he'll be evaluated for special education services under Public Law IDEA 2004. Use LexiaLearning.org or Earobics online modules at home.

Answered 5/30/2014



Related Questions