U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

What do kids with conditions like special needs such as dyslexia and speech, language difficulties get in public schools now?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatric Neurology 50 years experience
Less help: We are in an epidemic of need and a crisis of lack of resources. Not just the public schools, but private schools as well just can not accommodate the need. Parents need to look to private agencies and services. However, they need to be careful to not get ripped off by false claims. Support must come from professional agencies that will determine appropriate use of limited resources.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 52 years experience
RTI: Response To Intervention is done for kids with lower & slower academic progress: Tier 1, extra help in class for 8 weeks. Tier 2, small-group instruction. for a grading period. Tier 3, individual instruction. Evaluation for an Individualized Educational Plan under IDEA determines needed changes in curriculum when RTI doesn't help. You can request evaluation for an IEP at any point during RTI.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 6, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.