i ordered a dna test to confirm my 16 year old stepson is not my husband's son. should my stepson be told the truth that his father is not his bio?

Dr. William Goldie
Pediatric Neurology 48 years experience
Yes: Honesty and openness always works out best. Be prepared for an open discussion and good honest emotional reaction. This should be handled with honest and appropriate reactions of your own.
Pathology 49 years experience
Difficult issue: Have you talked to the boy's mother? She should be the one to tell him about his parentage. Different people react differently to such news and it may be prudent to get the advice of a social service person who may evaluate your stepson's personality. It is good that you are concerned about the well being of your stepson. Take it easy, and do it right, there is no hurry.

Last updated May 6, 2019