what is the best med for a foot ulcer with merca?

Dr. Francine Mosley
General Practice 20 years experience
MRSA: M-R-S-A: It means methycillin-resistant staph aureus, and the best med will be known for sure after the wound culture, grown from the q-tip they swabbed thru the open wound before they bandaged the foot ulcer; till then, they will treat you with the antibiotics that typically are the best choice for your part of the world, and then add them or change them if needed.
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
Depends on a lot: How deep or "bad is the infection plays a definate role in a choice. Intravenous vancomycin has always been the choice for significant mrsa(referring to what you wrote: merca) infection. There are oral medications as well that could be adequate in lesser infections. Sometimes the culture and sensativity report will indication sensitivity to these particular antibiotics. It depends on how bad it is.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
You must realize : That while antibiotics play an integral role there are other factors that are equally important i.E off-loading the ulcer, proper wound care, controlling any other comorbitities. There are different types of MRSA hospital and community acquired. This may play a role. There are oral vs. I.V. Medications. Oral agents include doxycycline, bactrim, (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) Clindamycin and zyvoxx. I.V. Is generally vancomycin.
Dr. Stuart Plotkin
Podiatry 42 years experience
MRSA: I assume you are referring to MRSA a staph infection that does not respond to most antibiotics. You may need an IV antibiotic like vancomycin. You also need to have the wound examined. cleaned, debrided. Don't let this go this is important to treat.