Australia

My thyroid gland is small but it is giving me difficulty swallowing. what could be the reason for this?

Dr. Kamel Sadek
How do you know?: How do you know that your thyroid is small? And that it is the cause of difficulty swallowing. The thyroid gland sits infront and to the sides of your "adam's apple". It would have to be fairly sizable to affect your swallowing. A person can have a huge goiter and still able to swallow normally. I would look into additional causes. But it is possible, depending on your anatomy.
Dr. Samuel Freedman
Dysphasia : A GI doctor should order a swallowing study to see if the thyroid could be impinging on your esophagus. There are also other causes of swallowing difficulty to rule out

Last updated Jun 10, 2014