Grapevine, TX

I have a mass on the right lobe of my thyroid that i am getting removed. there are small cysts on the left lobe, should total removal be considered?

Dr. Alen Cohen
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery 15 years experience
It's a consideration: This is a decision between you, your thyroid surgeon and endocrinologist. There are pros and cons either way. As a thyroid surgeon, i discuss all of this with the patient and let them decide which surgery to proceed with.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgical Oncology 45 years experience
Maybe: Depends on 1) experience of the surgeon - total thyroidectomy has more complications with less experienced surgeons, 2) the reason you are having the lobectomy. What were the fine needle aspiration results? If you were not offered a fna - go to another surgeon - fast!, 3) size of the cyts, etc. In general, I am relatively reluctant to do a total in very young people without a good reason.
Dr. Eric Whitman
Surgical Oncology 37 years experience
Depends: Depends on many factors and can only be answered in the context of a full, in person, history and physical examination.
Last updated Mar 21, 2017