Grapevine, TX

I have a mass on the right lobe of my thyroid that i am getting removed. there are small cysts on the left lobe, should total removal be considered?

Dr. Alen Cohen
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery 14 years experience
It's a consideration: This is a decision between you, your thyroid surgeon and endocrinologist. There are pros and cons either way. As a thyroid surgeon, i discuss all of this with the patient and let them decide which surgery to proceed with.
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgical Oncology 44 years experience
Maybe: Depends on 1) experience of the surgeon - total thyroidectomy has more complications with less experienced surgeons, 2) the reason you are having the lobectomy. What were the fine needle aspiration results? If you were not offered a fna - go to another surgeon - fast!, 3) size of the cyts, etc. In general, I am relatively reluctant to do a total in very young people without a good reason.
Dr. Eric Whitman
Surgical Oncology 36 years experience
Depends: Depends on many factors and can only be answered in the context of a full, in person, history and physical examination.

Last updated Mar 21, 2017