been diagnosed with osa. does it always require the use of a cpap?

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry 37 years experience
Ideally, yes.: CPAP is the gold standard treatment for osa, and it works very well. Try it, and hang in there...You can get used to it over time. If you just cannot tolerate wearing the cpap, then you have 2 options. #1-see your dentist who can make you a mouthpiece type of appliance than can improve your airflow. #2 talk to your md about surgical options.
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry 37 years experience
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry 41 years experience
Most effective: But compliance rate is poor, about 40 percent. According to 2006 american academy of sleep medicine practice parameters, oral appliances are indicated for use in patients with mild or moderate obstructive sleep apnea who prefer them over CPAP and should be completed by a dentist with advanced training in sleep medicine.
Dr. William Galli
Pulmonary Critical Care 27 years experience
Not always.: Depends on severity and also body position sometimes. If moderate to severe osa then CPAP is better. If mild then need to see in what body position you sleep in. Sometimes just changing from your back to you side with a pillow helps. Need to ask your doctor about surgical options as well for mild osa. Moderate to severe makes a loud osa pt to a silent osa pt. Just if you stop snoring osa not gone.
Dr. John Feola
FATIGUE WITH OSA: PROVIGIL AND NUVIGIL help with fatigue and brain fog. Also get labs checked especially TFTS. adderal/Ritalin/Starttera may also be of use .Start a gluten free diet focus on weight loss .Wholeapproach.com gut loss.com. If CPAP/BIPAP is poorly tolerated seek ENT CONSULT for UPP vs Hyoid suspension.