Brewster, NY

how important is eliminating sugar when trying to reduce ldl through dietary changes?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine 43 years experience
Not at all: Ldl cholesterol is related to the amount of saturated and trans fats in a person's diet. Most saturated fat is found in meat and full-fat dairy and trans fats are in processed foods and bakery products. The amount of sugar a person eats doesn't affect the levels of cholesterol, although it does affect triglyceride levels, which is another kind of fat in the body.
Dr. Dean Giannone
Sugar and chol.: It's really not about eliminating sugar per se, although a prudent diet mandates that we keep simple sugar intake to a minimum. It's more about increasing your fiber intake, which helps control blood sugar excursions and also works to lower the cholesterol. We need 50 (women) to 70 (men) grams of fiber daily.
Pathology 49 years experience
Exercise will help in raising HDL and counter the effects of LDL.
May 15, 2017