Kew Gardens, NY

allergic to 2 ct scans iodized iv contrast exams, itching, rash. dr. wants mri cervical spine with contrast. is this a good idea, is this contrast diff?

Dr. Lawrence Judy
Yes: The contrast for an mr exam is not the same at all. This contrast can be of concern in patients with chronic renal diseases. Incidentally, many people who have reacted to iodinated contrast like with ct or cardiac catheterization can be pre-treated and will tolerate the contrast without trouble. This allows important tests which depend upon contrast to be done.
Dr. David Rosenthal
Allergy and Immunology 21 years experience
Yes: Ct scan contrast is totally different than MRI contrast. Ct contrast agents is usually iodinated and are classifed as either ionic or non-ionic. In contrast, MRI contrast agents usually contains chelated gadolinium. Tell the radiologist about your previous ct scan contract allergic symptoms when getting your mri.