A member asked:
Disclaimer

about two and half months ago i started experiencing first pricky skin in different spots then my skin feels like its on fire them itches like crazy then i get big welts like hives them it just disappears and its fine just happens out of no where at anyti

2 doctor answers
Dr. Steven Machtinger
43 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Chronic urticaria: You have hives. Hives lasting more than 2 months are characterized as chronic. About 95% of chronic hives are a benign but uncomfortable manifestation of autoimmune disease. The other 5% may represent a more serious condition. A board-certified allergist can perform a few tests to tell you what is going on. The allergist will work with you to provide adequate treatment. An antihistamine may help.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
2
2 thanks
Dr. David Shulan
40 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Likle hives: Hives are usually itchy red spots that comes and goes quickly. They can be caused by allergy, viral infections, and autoimmunity ( reacting to yourself). Antibiotics can cause a reaction as long as two weeks after stopping it and persist up to 6 months(recurrently). Foods reactions occur usually quickly after eating the food and clears in 24 hours. Autoimmune can occur sporadically for no reason.
Answered on Sep 22, 2017
10
10 thanks

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 41-year-old female asked:
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
56 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Yes: This is called the late-phase reaction which starts hours after the initial exposure to allergen (inhaled or injected). I would expect the reaction t ... Read More
A 23-year-old female asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
I wouldn't be: This does not sound like something deadly or otherwise bad. It could be as simple as dripping some lemonade on those areas, which can produce such dar ... Read More
A 18-year-old female asked:
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
56 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Allergist/skin doc: First you may try taking an otc antihistamine up to 4 regular doses per day. If this problem fails to respond, persists or gets worse, then see a der ... Read More
2
2 thanks
A 28-year-old female asked:
Dr. Efren Rael
17 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Hives discussion: Hives are usually not worrisome, unless associated with other features, such as pain/pressure (as opposed to itch), fever, unintentional weight loss, ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month