since starting solids my 6month old grandson eats 3oz less from each of his bottles (breast milk). he loves his solids (fruit, veggies and yogurt), but my daughter is very concerned about his losing the breast milk nourishment. he is in the 7th percentile

2 doctor answers
45 years experience Pediatrics
Solids not important: Breast milk is the most important & balanced nutrition for any kid under 1y if not older. There is no need ( other than cultural pressure) to introduce solids to do anything more than teach the kid to explore texture & learn a new feeding method.Solids generally have lower calorie density & quantity should be kept small in any lean kid.
Answered on Oct 8, 2012
2
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
30 years experience Pediatrics
Don't sweat it!: Energy demands for growth are greatest in the first 4 months of life. Calorie needs gradually decline between the ages of 4 months to 1 year. It is implied your grandson is a healthy infant who is enjoying the variety of soft solid foods. He is "self-regulating" his intake for his metabolism/genetic and energy needs and potential. He will not lose breast milk nourishment. Consider multivits.
Answered on Mar 14, 2016
1