If I have factor five leiden, can I take birth control?

48 years experience in Pathology
Not advised: People who inherit the leiden variant of coagulation factor v are at incresed risk of venous thrombosis. Those who are heterozygotes their risk is 5-10 fold higher, homozygotes are about 50 fold greater risk. Women on birth contol pills are partiuclarly susceptible to thrombosis if they have leiden factor v. If the affected individual develops thromobsis, life long anti-coagulation may be needed.
Answered on Mar 3, 2013
1
Dr. Wendy Askew
Dr. Wendy Askew commented
23 years experience in Obstetrics and Gynecology
There is an intrauterine device without hormones that is very effective and doesn't increase your risk for blood clots. It has some risks and benefits to discusss with your doctor before deciding,but agree that your risk of blood clots with estrogens is dangerously high.
Mar 3, 2013